Fill out my online form.

Information Regarding Claiming Veterans’ Preference

Preference points are awarded to qualified veterans and spouses of deceased or disabled veterans

subject to the provision of MN Statute 197.447.

The veteran must:

a) be a U.S. citizen or resident alien,

b) have received a discharge under honorable conditions from any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces; AND have either

i. served on active duty for at least 181 consecutive days, or

ii. have been discharged by reason of service connected disability, or

iii. have completed the minimum active duty requirement of federal law, as defined by CFR title 38, section 3.12a, i.e, having fulfilled the full period for which a person was called or ordered to active duty by the United States President, or

iv. certified service and verification of “veteran status” granted under U.S. PL 95-202.

The information provided will be used to determine your eligibility for veterans’ preference points. You are required to supply the following information:

1.) Attach a copy of the DD214 or DD215. This copy must state the nature of discharge; i.e., honorable, general, medical, under honorable conditions.(DD214 “Member-1" copy will not be accepted)

2.) Disabled veterans must also supply a Military/United States Department of Veterans’ Affairs Rating Decision that supports/verifies the fact that the injury was incurred while on, or as a result of, active duty service. Disability incurred while on, or as a result of, active duty for training purposes does not qualify for disabled veteran preference per MN Statute 197.455.

3.) A spouse of a deceased veteran applying for preference points must supply their marriage certificate, the veteran’s DD214 or DD215, a death certificate, verification of their marriage at the time of veteran’s death, and that the spouse has not remarried.

Thank you for your military service and for your interest in employment with the City of Rogers.

Please contact our office at (763) 428-2253, or your local County Veterans’ Service Office, if you have any questions regarding veterans’ preference in public employment.